lichess.org
Donate

Who is the greatest nation at chess in 2023?

Of course the greatest chess nation of all times is the Soviet union but I wanna hear your guys's opinions on the top nation in 2023
Based on the number of GMs Russia is still in the lead. But India is churning out GMs like hotcakes. They will probably overtake Russia in 10-20 years.
China isn't doing too badly either, with two current world champions. The game has truly become global in its appeal.
<Comment deleted by user>
@DogFan said in #1:
> Of course the greatest chess nation of all times is the Soviet union but I wanna hear your guys's opinions on the top nation in 2023

What do you mean with the "greatest" ?
Do you mean the nation that has its chess citizens win most prices ?
Or do you mean the nation that has promoted chess very well, and brought forward many GMs and IMs, and takes good care of chess education, especially for the youth, in the country ?
@greysensei said in #2:
> Based on the number of GMs Russia is still in the lead.

Thanks to the Soviet Union. As with most things tbh. Now that it no longer exists, the level of chess in Russia could (and probably will most likely) fall as less people have ready access to educational material, coaches etc.
@achja said in #5:
> What do you mean with the "greatest" ?
> Do you mean the nation that has its chess citizens win most prices ?
> Or do you mean the nation that has promoted chess very well, and brought forward many GMs and IMs, and takes good care of chess education, especially for the youth, in the country ?

Soviet union has produced lots of strong GMs including spassky kasparov and kasparov.
Also a lot of citizens play it unlike USA for example while having some strong GMs, it isn't promoted well.
The soviet union on the other hand promote it well, the mix of it havin a strong heritage in the country while being promoted to kids in schools created lots of strong players but also regular people playing for fun
@DogFan said in #1:
> Of course the greatest chess nation of all times is the Soviet union but I wanna hear your guys's opinions on the top nation in 2023

Sure. ok. Yeah, so you miss Soviet union ?
Tha US of A is greatest today in my view. No ?

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.