lichess.org
Donate

Capablanca: R+B better than Q+B

I'm reading a Capablanca's book in portuguese: "Lições Elementares de Xadrez" released in february 1942, a month before his death, I'm not sure if it was translated to english, I found only in spanish but no pdf's available to check.

In the book, Capablanca affirms (page 98): rook + bishop are in general superior than Queen + bishop on endgames, is that right? I mean, maybe the translation is wrong or something, because I've never seen such affirmation before and it's quite curious

Thank you
The English version, Chess Fundamentals, was published in 1921. Botvinnik called it the greatest chess book ever written. The old editions were in descriptive notation (P - K4, P - K4), but I believe that there are now also editions in algebraic (e4/e5). A descriptive version is available on Project Gutenberg. This one has algebraic:
http://www.sources.com/SSR/Docs/Capablanca-ChessFundamentals.pdf

Maybe he means TWO rooks and bishop are better than queen and bishop? Or perhaps he doesn't like the queen because of the increased possibility of stalemate?
My book and Chess Fundamentals are different, even the name being a little bit similar, I have this pdf but thank you anyway!

I know it sounds different but the book clearly says:

PT: "Geralmente, Torre e Bispo são superiores a Dama e Bispo."
EN: "Generally, Rook and Bishop are superior than Queen and Bishop"
IMG: uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/screenshot_20180726-153541-png

Just want to know if it was translated wrong or something, or maybe he really thinks this way, the way the book was written makes me think that it's not a mistake and considering that's correct, I wonder why he thinks this way.
I haven't read the book, but I can assure you that Queen and Bishop are in almost all cases superior to Rook and Bishop. I'm pretty sure that Capablanca knew that as well.
Well, mighty Capa discusses subtleties between more or less „equal“ pieces in this chapter obviously.

QN-QB, BB-NN, RB-RN (later this is called the Fischer endgame)
What he is saying is that if you have a queen, knight is better than bishop and if you have a rook bishop is better than knight.
As stated by points 4 and 5 of the image that okgo provided(in Spanish). It seems that the translation merged the two points and explained it weirdly.
i think its time for a childish cartoon to prove that R+B is stronger than Q+B:

https://i.imgur.com/ckPMnR1.jpg

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.