lichess.org
Donate

Ranks Need To Be Reset Once A Year

@guyza said in #43:
> @midnightmusicnetwork it doesn't matter what 'other games' do. You want chess skins in an item shop as well? They are two different things.

I never said that, and now you mention it. Yes. Would be cool to get some new cool looking chess skins for the pieces.
@midnightmusicnetwork make sure to play all your games at the start of the year as well! Oh and by the way, it doesn't really matter if you win, just wait for the reset. You can look at your camo king skin.
@guyza said in #45:
> @midnightmusicnetwork make sure to play all your games at the start of the year as well! Oh and by the way, it doesn't really matter if you win, just wait for the reset. You can look at your camo King skin.

Camo king skin? Let's do this.
> Ranks Need To Be Reset Once A Year

Let me tell you something, my fellow gamers: Path of Exile's "league" system is a godsend. It's a masterpiece of game design that adds an extra layer of excitement and challenge to an already exhilarating game. For those of you who didn't know, a "league" is essentially a new, temporary version of the game that resets all players' progress and scores. Each league has its own unique rules and challenges, and players compete against each other to climb the ranks and earn rewards.

Now, let me tell you why this system is so brilliant. First of all, it keeps the game fresh. Nobody likes playing the same thing over and over again, and the league system ensures that players always have something new to look forward to. Second, it levels the playing field. New players don't have to worry about being crushed by veterans who have been playing for years. Everyone starts from scratch, so it's a fair fight. Finally, it creates a sense of urgency. You only have a limited amount of time to climb the ranks and earn rewards, so you better play your heart out if you want to come out on top.

Now, imagine if lichess had a similar league system. Imagine if every few months, all players' ratings were reset and they had to compete in a new league with unique challenges and rewards. Wouldn't that be amazing? I think it would be a game-changer for the chess community.

Think about it: right now, chess can get a little stale. You play the same openings and the same opponents over and over again. But with a league system, every game would matter. You'd be playing for something more than just a number on a screen. You'd be playing for your place in the league, for bragging rights, for rewards. It would give players something to strive for, something to get excited about. And it would level the playing field, so newer players wouldn't have to feel intimidated by the more experienced ones.

So, my fellow gamers and chess enthusiasts, I implore you: let's bring the league system to lichess. Let's breathe new life into the game we all love. Let's create a system that rewards skill, dedication, and passion. It's time to take chess to the next level. Let's do this!
@chessfan124 fischer random, different chess variations, puzzles, different openings not enough?

Your rating is the reward, and a number can be used in the same way as a league. You don't need to re-invent the wheel.
@midnightmusicnetwork "...to keep everything balanced... " -

Actuall, the glicko2 system is designed exactly to "keep things balanced". New players and players who have been inactive for a longer time have a large rating deviation. Meaning they only have to play a small number of games to land within the rating bracket that reflects their current skill. Thus, within the huge player pool, only very few players are in a "blending in" phase at any given time, and for the large majority of players the rating does reflect their current skill.

If you reset the whole system, almost no one has the right rating for some time, and then everything would settle again to the same status as before the reset. I don't see what you would gain from such a week of chaos?

Inactive players are not a problem - if they are inactive, they left the pool so who cares? And if they start playing again, their rating will be readjusted quickly, because their RD went up.
Now this thread hits 50 posts and gets to be eternally buried

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.